4 brinjals (long variety),
cut into 8cm lengths
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 Tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
2 teaspoons thick soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
4 Tablespoons water
1 teaspoon cornflour
Oil for deep-frying the brinjals
2 red chillies, sliced
1 big onion, peeled and sliced into rings
Combine ground black pepper, salt and
Combine together ingredients for the Sauce
1. Split the brinjals into two and score the white
2. Smear the surface of each brinjal slice with the
3. Mix the lime juice, soy sauce, sugar and water. Stir
in the cornflour until well combined.
4. Heat the oil in a wok and fry the seasoned brinjals,
scored surfaces down, for 2 minutes or until light
brown. Then turn and fry the other side. Fry all the
5. Drain on paper towels.
6. Remove all the oil from the wok except one
7. Heat this oil gently and in the same wok, saute the
chillies and sliced onions.
8. Pour in the sauce ingredients and simmer.
9. Taste and adjust accordingly.