400g short crust pastry (buy
The filling ingredients:
1 chicken - cut into 8 to 10 pieces
1 tbsp butter
2 star anise (whole)
25 mm cinnamon stick
500 ml water
4 potatoes (peeled and halved)
2 carrots (optional)
4 big onions (peeled and quartered)
1 chicken stock cube
2 hard boiled eggs - shelled and cut in half
4 frankfurters or Danish cocktail sausages (cooked)
3 rashes bacon (fried crisp)
1 tsp mixed spice (or see Tip 1 to make stew spice);
1/2 tsp pepper,
1 tsp salt,
3 cups water
2 tbsp milk
For the Stew:
1. Marinate the chicken with the spice mixture and set
aside for 10 mins.
2. Heat the butter in a deep pot, throw in the star
anise, cloves and cinnamon. Stir for 1 min.
3. Add marinated chicken and stir fry.
4. Add the water to cover the meat. Bring it to a boil.
5. Add the potatoes and carrots, cover and bring to a
6. Add more water if necessary.
7. Lower the heat, add the onions and stock cube and
simmer for 20 mins or until chicken is tender and
vegetables are cooked.
8. When meat is done, pour in the milk.
9. Simmer for 5 mins, turn off the heat and let cool.
10. Taste and adjust accordingly.
For the pastry:
1. Roll the pastry.
2. Filled a pie dish with the stew ingredients.
3. Top with eggs, sausages and bacon.
4. Cover with the pastry. Flute the edges of the pie
with a fork and decorate with pastry as desired
5. Glaze pastry with egg wash (i.e. 2 tbsp milk and 1
egg beaten lightly)
To bake pie:
Heat oven at 175 degree Celsius
Baked pie for 20 to 25 mins or until pastry is golden in